Handles all aspects of bi-weekly payroll processing from collection through journal entries. Performs various general accounting duties to assist the finance department. The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of biweekly payroll in compliance with related government regulations and organizational policies.
- Maintain and administer the time and attendance system and HRIS/payroll software.
- Answer payroll-related queries and provide reports to internal and external parties.
- Develop and ensure positive working relationships with employees, managers and payroll related vendors.
- Work closely with Human Resources to ensure payroll records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Assist the finance department team members as needed to meet deadlines.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive employee information at all times.
- Ensure the management and reporting of all financial and operational activities is compliant and consistent with GAAP, as well as all relevant policies, laws and regulations.
- Ensure all systems, tools, and processes used in payroll, analysis, and reporting of operational and financial information are used consistent with their intended purpose, and maintained or updated in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective, positive relationships within and among other department staff, as well as other functional areas within the organization.
- Develop and ensure favorable working relationships with auditors, regulators, payroll vendors, and related external resources.
Stewardship and Professionalism
- Uphold and consistently represent the values and mission of the organization at all times. Represent the organization in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Ensure compliance and attention to all corporate policies and procedures.
PRIMARY TASKS AND DUTIES
- Review timecards for accuracy and approvals each pay period. Work with managers to make needed adjustments.
- Perform employee data maintenance including garnishments, direct deposits, tax changes and miscellaneous deductions.
- Process payroll, make pay adjustments and review all output reports for accuracy. Mail and distribute pay vouchers and checks.
- Update and transmit 401K contribution file each pay period.
- Perform general ledger interface maintenance and process journal entries in financial accounting software.
- Maintain leave reports, making necessary adjustments and calculate and process monthly vacation accrual journal entry.
- Handle all payroll related queries and generate reports as needed for employees, managers and external parties.
- Maintain and administer time and attendance and payroll systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ Key Competencies
- Demonstrate a high level of problem solving skills. Demonstrate the ability to make critical decisions supported by substantial financial analysis and critical data based decision making.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
- Excellent attention to detail and able to multi-task.
- Demonstrate interpersonal savvy and influence skills with the organization’s leaders, staff, regulators, vendors, auditors and related external entities.
- Ability to routinely and creatively use and understand technology necessary to collect, retain, analyze and report financial information.
- Ability to regularly and effectively communicate throughout all levels within the organization in written, verbal, and presentation formats.
This position requires compliance with Chesapeake Health Care Requirements of Conduct/Work Rules, Compliance Program, and policies and procedures. Failure to comply, which may include the failure to report any conduct or event that potentially violates legal or compliance requirements of our written standards, will be met by the enforcement of disciplinary action, up to and including possible termination, in accordance with our compliance program policy and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA preferred
- 5-10 years’ experience processing all aspects of payroll.
- Familiarity with timekeeping, payroll and accounting software. Significant knowledge of federal and state financial regulations.
- Solid understanding of payroll and payroll tax laws.
- Significant computer/spreadsheet experience and demonstrated knowledge of PC files and related computer workings required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and aptitude for solving problems.
- Demonstrated high level of communication and customer service skills
- Ability to interact with computer screen for up to six hours at a time (visual acuity required).
- Must have manual dexterity for use of keyboard. Ability to remain stationary for periods of up to four hours. Ability to communicate via phone, mail and in person to resolve disputes, solve problems, etc.
- Cognitive skills to analyze, calculate, problem solve issues related financial, accounting and other relevant processes.
- Normal overtime/extended work hours
Location/Region: Salisbury, MD (US - 21804)